October 5, 2022

The Indie Toaster

Complete News World

Taiwan crisis: China defends cancellation of US military talks as drills resume | China

China’s Defense Ministry has defended its suspension of military talks with the United States in protest of Nancy Pelosi’s visit to Taipei last week, with its military saying it would continue exercises around Taiwan on Monday.

China’s People’s Liberation Army posted online that it would launch anti-submarine attacks and naval raids on Monday, after four days of unprecedented exercises around the autonomous island.

Defense Ministry spokesman Wu Qian defended the decision to suspend military channels, saying in an online post on Monday: “The current tense situation in Taiwan The entire strait was provoked and created by the US side on its own initiative, and the US side must bear full responsibility and the serious consequences of this.

“The bottom line cannot be broken, and communication requires sincerity,” Wu said.

Pelosi’s visit last week sparked outrage Chinawhich considers Taiwan its own and responded by launching ballistic missile tests over Taipei for the first time, as well as abandoning some lines of dialogue with Washington.

four days of Training was scheduled to end on Sunday But this has not been officially confirmed by Chinese authorities, raising concerns among some security analysts that the situation in the Taiwan Strait, especially near the unofficial median dividing line, may escalate further.

About 10 warships from both China and Taiwan maneuvered in close quarters around the line on Sunday, according to a person familiar with the situation involved in security planning.

The island’s defense ministry said Chinese military ships, aircraft and drones simulated attacks on the island and the navy. It said it had sent planes and ships to respond “appropriately”.

China canceled formal talks involving theater-level leadership, defense policy coordination and naval-military consultations on Friday as Pelosi left the region.

Pentagon, State Department and White House officials condemned the move, calling it an overreaction and irresponsible.

Security analysts and diplomats said that China’s severing of some of its few contacts with the US military increases the risk of an accidental escalation over Taiwan at a critical moment.

One US official noted that Chinese officials did not respond to calls by senior Pentagon officials amid tensions last week, but they did not see this as a formal severing of ties with prominent figures, such as US Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin.

In response to a direct question about the reports, Wu said, “China’s relevant countermeasures are a necessary warning of the provocations of the United States and Taiwan, and a legitimate defense of national sovereignty and security.”

See also  The battle for Ukraine's Donbass region rages